Half-terms 1 and 2: ‘The Odyssey’ by Homer.
Half-term 3: ‘The Canterbury Tales’ by Geoffrey Chaucer.
Half-term 4: ‘Much Ado about Nothing’ by William Shakespeare.
Half-terms 5 and 6: ‘Romantic Poetry’ by poets including William Blake, Charlotte Smith, William Wordsworth, Lord Byron and John Keats.
A successful scholar after Year 7 will:
- Have knowledge and understanding of foundational English concepts and context.
- Develop an appreciation for canonical texts in English.
- Be able to successfully articulate authorial intent for a range of texts.
- Overlearn core grammar skills to push towards automaticity.
- Express themselves creatively through crafting own poetry.
How can you help your scholar?
- Make sure your child is reading every night. Reading for pleasure is fundamental to academic success.
- Help your child with their home learning in English. You can quiz them on the facts that they need to learn.
- Encourage hand writing: diary writing, letters, sports reviews and stories.
- Encourage your child to take part in the co-curricular clubs, trips and competitions which we run throughout the year.